What is Community NOW?
Goodwill’s Community NOW! offers adults with disabilities active participation in their communities by providing opportunities individually tailored and aimed at increasing independence.
A program specialist coordinates volunteer sites and facilitates social and educational activities aimed at developing appropriate socialization, self-advocacy, living and work skills.
Community NOW! aims to increase the individual’s independence by empowering them to make future decisions based on their desires, interests and skills. The service improves participants’ quality of life by assisting them with becoming active members of their communities.
How does Community NOW! work?
The service is ideal for young adults with disabilities who have transitioned out of high school and are seeking to gain vocational, educational and social skills in order to transition to an integrated community setting, enter the workforce or continue their education.
Activities may include:
- Volunteer opportunities
- Participation in local clubs/organizations
- Health and Wellness promotion
- Computer skills training
- Educational trips
- Recreational activities
Who is eligible for Community NOW?
Individuals are eligible to participate by meeting the following requirements:
- Have a documented diagnosis of an Intellectual Disability or Developmental Disability
- Are 21 years of age or older and post-high school
- Are able to travel independently to the volunteer and community sites to meet the Program Specialist
- Willing to become involved on a scheduled basis
- Demonstrate a desire to participate
- Ability to perform basic Activities of Daily Living Skills (ADL’s) independently
Individuals are referred by Supports Coordination Units and are funded by waiver programs available through the Allegheny County Office of Intellectual Disability (OID).
W7058 Home and Community Hab
Start date determined by availability of openings within the program.
Click above to watch a video on how Community NOW! helped Louise to be more confident and get involved in her community.
Who to contact:
Lynn Tucibat, Program Manager - Community Integration