1. Goodwill is a non-profit organization whose mission services are funded by our stores.
Many people think Goodwill stores exist only to sell used items for low prices to people who are on limited incomes. While we are happy we can provide affordable goods, Goodwill is more than just a store. Our stores exist to support our mission to help people improve their quality of life through work and related services. When you buy goods in our stores, you are funding programs and services that teach job and life skills to people with disabilities and other barriers to employment.
2. This is Mike. He’s our CEO.
Our President and CEO, Mike Smith, has been with Goodwill since 1989 and has been in his current position of President/CEO since 2002. Mike earned his bachelor’s degree in business administration (accounting) from Robert Morris University and has his MBA from Waynesburg College. He’s a founding member of the Alliance of Nonprofit Stores here in southwestern Pennsylvania and has served as a board member of many different organizations, including Robert Morris Univeristy and the Pittsburgh Rotary Club.
3. 90 cents of every dollar we earn funds our mission.
When you shop in our stores or donate goods, 90 cents of each dollar earned supports our job-training and employment programs. This is a very healthy number in the nonprofit world, and a solid indicator of our commitment to good stewardship of your donations.
Our Goodwill offers nearly 50 social service programs in southwestern Pennsylvania and north central West Virginia and the goods sold in our stores help support those vital programs.
4. Our Goodwill is an independent agency.
Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania is one of more than 160 independent members of Goodwill Industries International, including international agencies. Each agency is independently operated and funded. Member agencies must adhere to professional, financial, legal, and branding guidelines set forth by Goodwill Industries International. While we have similar missions, each Goodwill is unique in the programs it offers and how it operates its business, because each of the communities we serve is unique.
5. You may know someone we have helped.
Most likely, Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania has helped someone you know or have met in your community. We’ve helped thousands of people:
- Search for a job and develop a résumé,
- Learn how to interview successfully for a job,
- Move off the streets and into permanent and stable housing,
- Develop skills for success in school or at work,
- Learn how to manage their finances,
- Secure regular, reliable employment.