What are ABE and High School Equivalency (HSE) classes?
Goodwill Literacy Initiative’s classes will help prepare you to take a high school equivalency test (GED® or HiSET) and earn your Commonwealth Secondary Diploma. All classes incorporate reading comprehension, math computation, build and master academic language, and reasoning within the subject area contexts on the tests – Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
Classes are held in convenient locations throughout the Pittsburgh region
(all locations on bus routes; class times vary):
- CareerLink East in Forest Hills (2040 Ardmore Blvd., Pittsburgh PA 15221)
- Clairton Public Library (616 Miller Ave, Clairton, PA 15025)
- Lawrenceville (118 52nd Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201)
- McKees Rocks (710 Thompson Road, McKees Rocks, PA 15136)
- McKeesport (345 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15132)
- Natrona Heights (1600 Pacific Ave #10, Natrona Heights, PA 15065)
- North Side (1601 Brighton Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212)
- South Side (2400 East Carson Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15203)
How do classes work?
Students will learn the following:
- Writing skills
- Test taking strategies
- Job preparation
What are the benefits of HSE classes at Goodwill?
- 25% discount at Goodwill stores
- Small classes with classmates on a similar level
- Testing scholarships available to those who qualify
- Access to support services through the Goodwill Welcome Center, Goodwill Career Services, Digital Skills Training, Financial Education, and more.
HSE Testing Services
Goodwill offers testing services in addition to HSE prep classes. Registration is simple. For GED testing, simply sign up for MyGED™ at www.GED.com and you will get information about local policies, how to request modified testing conditions (accommodations), or you’ll be able to schedule right then. Click here to learn more about GED testing at Goodwill.
New classes begin monthly.
Who to contact:
If you or someone you know needs help preparing for a high school equivalency test and would like to attend classes, please contact us using the form below or call the Goodwill Welcome Center at 1-877-499-3526. Students MUST complete an orientation before they may enroll in classes.