We are now enrolling new students for online learning! To begin this process please fill out this form or contact Goodwill’s Welcome Center at 1-877-499-3526.
What are ABE and High School Equivalency (HSE) classes?
Our classes will help prepare you to take a high school equivalency test (GED® or HiSET) and earn your Commonwealth Secondary Diploma. All classes incorporate reading comprehension, math computation, build and master academic language, and reasoning within the subject area contexts on the tests – Language Arts, Mathematics, Science, and Social Studies.
Classes are held in convenient locations throughout the Pittsburgh region
(all locations on bus routes; class times vary):
- CareerLink East in Forest Hills (2040 Ardmore Blvd., Pittsburgh PA 15221)
- Lawrenceville (118 52nd Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201)
- McKeesport (345 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15132)
- McKees Rocks (Focus on Renewal - Basement of Health Center, 710 Thompson Avenue, McKees Rocks, PA 15136)
- Natrona Heights (1600 Pacific Ave #10, Natrona Heights, PA 15065)
- North Side (1601 Brighton Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15212)
- Oakland (249 North Craig Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15213)
What are the benefits of HSE classes at Goodwill?
- 25% discount at Goodwill stores
- Small classes with classmates on a similar level
- Testing scholarships available to those who qualify
- Access to support services through the Goodwill Welcome Center, Goodwill Career Services, Digital Skills Training, Financial Education, and more.
Take the first step toward your GED or HiSET by registering to take a free TABE placement test.
STEP 1: Schedule a Time and Location For Your TABE Placement Test
- The Test of Adult Basic Education (or TABE) will help us place you in the best class and provide you with the best level of support.
- To schedule your test, click here. Select the place and time that is best for you.
Who can I call for help with scheduling my test? The Goodwill Welcome Center can help you schedule your test. Just call 1-877-499-3526.
STEP 2: Take the TABE Placement Test
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early at your testing location. Once you’ve been checked in, you’ll answer a few brief questions and then take your TABE test.
- The TABE test takes about 3 hours, so be ready to stay at least that long.
Who can I call about my placement test? You can call a program facilitator at 412-689-7545.
STEP 3: Orientation and Class Start
- Your program facilitator will contact you within two weeks to schedule your class orientation. This will take place at your class site.
- Classes vary in time per location. Your program facilitator will help you to select the best class for you.
- Your instructor will help you know when you are ready to take each part of the High School Equivalency test that you choose (GED or HiSET).
Who can I call if I want to talk about my class start? You can call a program facilitator at 412-689-7545.
Last Step: Graduation and Beyond!
- We invite all of our graduates to take place in a cap and gown ceremony, where friends and family can come celebrate as certificates are presented.
- Goodwill offers many other services including a Career Services Center to help you reach your next goal.
HSE Testing Services
Goodwill offers testing services in addition to HSE prep classes.
- For GED testing, simply sign up for MyGED™ at www.GED.com and you will get information about local policies, how to request modified testing conditions (accommodations), or you’ll be able to schedule right then. Click here to learn more about GED testing at Goodwill.
- For HiSet testing, simply sign up at www.HiSet.com and you will get information about local policies, how to request modified testing conditions (accommodations), or you’ll be able to schedule right then.
New classes begin monthly.
Who to contact/How to schedule:
Ready to schedule your TABE test and begin the journey to your High School Equivalency degree? Click here to register online or, for assistance scheduling your TABE test, call the Goodwill Welcome Center at 1-877-499-3526..