What is Transition WORKS! Redstone Highlands?
Goodwill’s Transition Services Department has partnered with Redstone Highlands, to provide hands-on, paid work experience opportunities to in-school youth with disabilities. Students have the opportunity to gain valuable on-site healthcare and other business related work experience.
The Transition WORKS! program staff works in conjunction with the student and his/her identified Individualized Education Plan (IEP) transition goals. Services offered include job coaching, work skills evaluation, employability skills training, job search and placement support.
Since its inception, the program has provided valuable training opportunities to over 150 in-school youth with disabilities between the ages of 16-21. The Transition WORKS! program is seen as a step towards competitive employment.
How does Transition WORKS! Redstone Highlands work?
Day to Day
Students can train at Redstone Highlands sites in Greensburg or North Huntingdon, participating in real, hands-on work training opportunities, preparing them for employment.
Work experiences are offered in the following areas:
- Activities Aide
- Clerical (in different departments)
- Resident escorting
Who is eligible for Transition WORKS! Redstone Highlands?
A student must meet the following criteria to be accepted into the Transition WORKS! program:
- Presently enrolled in an academic program or high school
- Age 16 to 21
- Have a physical, cognitive, emotional or social disability
- Have an Individual Education Plan (IEP)
- Have independent personal hygiene and grooming skills
- Have independent toileting and feeding skills
- An absence of severe, disruptive and/or violent behavior problems
- Ability to learn in a small group environment without one-on-one supervision
- Have the desire to explore work skills training
- The ability to maintain appropriate workplace behaviors
- Able to communicate and interact with minimum prompts with on-site and Transition Services Staff
Program start date determined by student schedule and program availability.
Who to contact:
Susan Buchanich, Transition WORKS! Coordinator