EARN and Work Ready are designed to help people receiving SNAP and TANF benefits achieve their education and employment goals. We help people find satisfying, long-term careers with higher earning potentials.
EARN serves people receiving SNAP (formerly “food stamps”) or those receiving TANF (cash assistance). Work Ready serves those utilizing extended TANF benefits. To apply for these programs, you must go through the PA DHS – County Assistance Offices (CAO). You can call your local CAO or start the application online at:
How does it work?
When you start the program, you have the opportunity to complete a career assessment to determine a career path that aligns with your interests, values, and skills. You and your team will then develop a plan to meet your goals.
You may choose to pursue further training or education before looking for employment. When ready, all participants will get help finding a job in their desired career path. Once you start working, your team will continue to support you during your initial months of employment.
Services offered (many services available both on site and virtually)
- GED & ADULT BASIC EDUCATION classes
- CREDENTIALING programs including nationally recognized certifications in retail, retail management, customer service and sales
- Individualized JOB SEARCH PLAN, RESUME assistance, INTERVIEW coaching
- JOB READINESS skills (professional communication, social media best practices, online job search)
- Access to TECHNOLOGY (computer, printer, fax)
- HIRING EVENTS both on site and in the community; CONNECTIONS & JOB LEADS with area employers
- WORK EXPERIENCE opportunities to gain actual job skills and experience for your resume
- WORK-LIFE BALANCE workshops (time management, budgeting, self-care)
- COUNSELING for individual and/or groups
- RETENTION services to help maintain your employment and find advancement opportunities
- ADVOCACY & COORDINATION of services: Our dedicated staff provide support for any life issue, including help with knowing your rights and making sure you have a voice in the process.
Additional Program Benefits:
- CAO support (financial assistance with child care and transportation)
- Driver’s education
- As a Goodwill participant, you have access to resources beyond EARN and Work Ready. Goodwill provides additional education and training services to people with disabilities, criminal backgrounds, veterans, youth, and other vulnerable populations.
Where are EARN & Work Ready located?
Allegheny County EARN and Work Ready Programs (funded by Partner4Work*) are both located at the Goodwill Employment & Training Center: 345 Fifth Avenue, McKeesport, PA 15132
North Side and Lawrenceville:
The City of Pittsburgh EARN Job Search Site (funded by the City of Pittsburgh*) is located at:
- North Side: Northside Common Ministries: 1601 Brighton Road, Pittsburgh, PA 15221
- Lawrenceville: Goodwill of Southwestern Pennsylvania: 118 52nd Street, Pittsburgh, PA 15201
Services may be offered in person, in the community, by appointment and/or virtually. Hours are primarily Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Hours may differ by location.